$500,000 reward announced for information into the murder of Duncan Campbell in Coffs Harbour last year

Duncan Campbell was brutally murdered in February 2024 and the appeal to find the person or persons responsible for his murder continues.

Just over a year ago Duncan Campbell’s body was found in Coffs Harbour.

Yesterday, NSW Police Force, together with the NSW Government, announced a $500,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for Duncan Campbell’s murder.

The father of five was 58 years old at the time of his death.

His family have spoken out asking for anyone with information, no matter how small, to come forward.

Reported missing

Campbell was last seen on Sunday, February 4, 2024 in Albany Street, Coffs Harbour.

When he was unable to be located or contacted, he was reported missing to officers at Coffs/Clarence Police District on Friday, February 9, 2024.

‘Brutally’ murdered

About 3.30pm on Monday, February 12, 2024, local police located Duncan’s body in bushland on John Champion Way near his campsite at City Hill.

While Campbell’s death was initially deemed not suspicious, further examination revealed he was murdered and State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad have since taken carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Belinda.

During a press conference held yesterday, Commander of State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty called the murder “brutal” and “atrocious”.

“[Duncan Campbell] was brutally and savagely assaulted, physically assaulted, and he succumbed to that assault and passed away,” Doherty said.

Deserved a chance at life

Doherty said Campbell was “sleeping rough”.

"Duncan Campbell was a father of five who, despite facing difficult circumstances, deserved a chance at life,” he said. “He was a loved member of the family. He fell on hard times in recent years that lead to him sleeping rough and not being in permanent accommodation, but he was a decent man. There was no criminality from Duncan.

“This was an atrocious act of cruelty but more than that it was a savage and brutal murder and we’re treating it as such.”

Campbell’s daughter, Brittany, said her dad was a loving father who didn’t deserve what happened to him.

“Living without dad, and without knowing what happened to him, has been incredibly painful for my siblings and myself,” Brittany said.

“We are thankful for the $500,000 reward and the ongoing efforts of the police to find those responsible for his murder.”

Seeking answers

Doherty urged community members to think back to the time of Duncan Campbell’s disappearance.

“It could be driving past with dashcam footage or mobile phone footage and they don’t even know they’ve captured something, or it might have be having a conversation with someone that is important to us.”

Duncan’s son-in-law, Lee, said, “We ask that anyone with information, no matter how small, please come forward and help bring our family peace.”

Anyone with information that may assist investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.

Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.